0203 728 7572

Open 8am - 7pm Monday to Friday

0203 728 7572

Health care funding

Deciding on long-term care has its challenges, particularly because of the associated costs. While some families must cover the expenses themselves, known as self-funding care, others may be eligible for care funding. This funding comes in two types: social care funding, provided by Local Authorities, and healthcare funding, offered by the NHS. This page will provide you with the necessary information to determine what type of funding may be available to you and how to access it.

Female client and female carer outside together with their white dog

A new local care service in London from leading home care provider, The Good Care Group

What is health care funding

Healthcare funding in the United Kingdom refers to the financial resources provided by the government to the NHS to support individuals who require healthcare services. If you require live-in care due to an ongoing diagnosis, NHS Continuing Healthcare funding is available as an option. This funding will be provided by your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and will cover the costs for live-in care from the comfort of your own home.

Determining whether you are eligible for this type of funding involves several considerations. This includes an assessment. To qualify for this, you must have complex or ongoing healthcare needs. Factors evaluated include the complexity of your needs, the necessity for regular supervision, the type of support required, and the likelihood of your condition improving.

The amount of funding allocated is based not only on your health requirements but also on the location of your Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) within the country. Where you are based will impact the availability of funding.

What is health care funding
Speak to our client services team 0203 728 7572
Male carer checking care notes on his work laptop

How to access NHS Continuing Healthcare funding

If you are eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare funding, it is important to note that it involves a structured process consisting of several stages. Here is an overview of how to access this:

Request an assessment – The assessment can be requested from your local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). You can do this by contacting your local GP or social worker.

Assessment – Once you have requested the assessment, a healthcare professional such as a doctor, nurse, or social worker typically carries out a screening either at your home or in hospital to assess your health condition or ongoing needs.

Assessment process – During the assessment, the healthcare professional will gather all the information required about your healthcare condition and identify the level of care you need, which is rated from low to moderate to high to severe, and any other factors. The NHS Decision Support Tool will determine whether you meet this criteria.

Decision & planning – Once their decision has been made, the CCG will write to you with the reasoning behind it. If you are eligible, you will be invited to discuss in further detail how and where you wish to receive your care.

Health care funding options

In England, if in the unfortunate event, you are not eligible for NHS Continuing Health Care, there are several social care funding options available to support you with your care needs.

Benefits entitlement

We recommend that you explore benefits entitlements, as not all of these are means-tested. Depending on your situation, you may be entitled to the following:

  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Council Tax Deductions
  • Disability Living Allowance

Taking the time to research each of these benefits could be valuable in providing you financial support.

female carer and female client having a drink together out in the park